hidden hit counter
Welcome to WindowsForumz.com!
FAQFAQ    SearchSearch      ProfileProfile    Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in

I can't get my sound to turn back on!

 
   Windows XP (Home) -> Windows XP Arch -> Windows XP General Arch1 RSS
Next:  DVD seen as CD  
Author Message
Tracey13

External


Since: Sep 23, 2004
Posts: 9



(Msg. 1) Posted: Tue May 24, 2005 4:11 pm
Post subject: I can't get my sound to turn back on!
Archived from groups: microsoft>public>windowsxp>general (more info?)

My sound was working fine but i decided to mess about with a few settings as
I didn't want all the sounds on and now i can't get any sound at all out of
my pc and i can't remember what i did so i can undo it.

i've been into the control panel and tried there but i can't get it to work.

Does anyone have any ideas please?

Thank you

 >> Stay informed about: I can't get my sound to turn back on! 
Back to top
Login to vote
Rock9

External


Since: Oct 22, 2004
Posts: 1585



(Msg. 2) Posted: Tue May 24, 2005 4:34 pm
Post subject: Re: I can't get my sound to turn back on! [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Tracey wrote:

 > My sound was working fine but i decided to mess about with a few settings as
 > I didn't want all the sounds on and now i can't get any sound at all out of
 > my pc and i can't remember what i did so i can undo it.
 >
 > i've been into the control panel and tried there but i can't get it to work.
 >
 > Does anyone have any ideas please?
 >
 > Thank you

Try a system restore to before you started messing with it. Go to Start
| Help and Support. Click on System Restore on the toobar.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

 >> Stay informed about: I can't get my sound to turn back on! 
Back to top
Login to vote
Slack

External


Since: May 24, 2005
Posts: 3



(Msg. 3) Posted: Tue May 24, 2005 4:40 pm
Post subject: RE: I can't get my sound to turn back on! [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

If you can see the little speaker icon in the system tray either right click
on it or double click on it. click on open volume controls, you will get a
window come up with all the colums displayed for all the types of sliders
check that master volume is unchecked (mute all) then make sure these are all
unchecked at the bottom (Muted) as well.

If you can't see the speaker icon go to start then control panel then sounds
and audio devices click on the advanced tab and follow the instructions from
"window come up" as above.
hope this helps.
Slack.

"Tracey" wrote:

 > My sound was working fine but i decided to mess about with a few settings as
 > I didn't want all the sounds on and now i can't get any sound at all out of
 > my pc and i can't remember what i did so i can undo it.
 >
 > i've been into the control panel and tried there but i can't get it to work.
 >
 > Does anyone have any ideas please?
 >
 > Thank you
 >> Stay informed about: I can't get my sound to turn back on! 
Back to top
Login to vote
Tracey13

External


Since: Sep 23, 2004
Posts: 9



(Msg. 4) Posted: Tue May 24, 2005 4:49 pm
Post subject: RE: I can't get my sound to turn back on! [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Thanks for your reply, i've been to the window with the sliders and none of
them are muted.

"Slack" wrote:

 > If you can see the little speaker icon in the system tray either right click
 > on it or double click on it. click on open volume controls, you will get a
 > window come up with all the colums displayed for all the types of sliders
 > check that master volume is unchecked (mute all) then make sure these are all
 > unchecked at the bottom (Muted) as well.
 >
 > If you can't see the speaker icon go to start then control panel then sounds
 > and audio devices click on the advanced tab and follow the instructions from
 > "window come up" as above.
 > hope this helps.
 > Slack.
 >
 > "Tracey" wrote:
 >
  > > My sound was working fine but i decided to mess about with a few settings as
  > > I didn't want all the sounds on and now i can't get any sound at all out of
  > > my pc and i can't remember what i did so i can undo it.
  > >
  > > i've been into the control panel and tried there but i can't get it to work.
  > >
  > > Does anyone have any ideas please?
  > >
  > > Thank you
 >> Stay informed about: I can't get my sound to turn back on! 
Back to top
Login to vote
Tracey13

External


Since: Sep 23, 2004
Posts: 9



(Msg. 5) Posted: Tue May 24, 2005 4:51 pm
Post subject: Re: I can't get my sound to turn back on! [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

unfortunately i can't remember when i started messing about with it (it was a
few weeks ago) and i'm sure i tried at the time to restore but it didn't seem
to work.

"Rock" wrote:

 > Tracey wrote:
 >
  > > My sound was working fine but i decided to mess about with a few settings as
  > > I didn't want all the sounds on and now i can't get any sound at all out of
  > > my pc and i can't remember what i did so i can undo it.
  > >
  > > i've been into the control panel and tried there but i can't get it to work.
  > >
  > > Does anyone have any ideas please?
  > >
  > > Thank you
 >
 > Try a system restore to before you started messing with it. Go to Start
 > | Help and Support. Click on System Restore on the toobar.
 >
 > --
 > Rock
 > MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
 >
 >
 >> Stay informed about: I can't get my sound to turn back on! 
Back to top
Login to vote
Rock9

External


Since: Oct 22, 2004
Posts: 1585



(Msg. 6) Posted: Tue May 24, 2005 5:49 pm
Post subject: Re: I can't get my sound to turn back on! [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Tracey wrote:

 > unfortunately i can't remember when i started messing about with it (it was a
 > few weeks ago) and i'm sure i tried at the time to restore but it didn't seem
 > to work.
 >

<a rel="nofollow" style='text-decoration: none;' href="http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/top10faqs.htm" target="_blank">http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/top10faqs.htm</a>
Where did my Sounds go?


--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
 >> Stay informed about: I can't get my sound to turn back on! 
Back to top
Login to vote
OnlyDanial

External


Since: May 24, 2005
Posts: 1



(Msg. 7) Posted: Tue May 24, 2005 6:20 pm
Post subject: RE: I can't get my sound to turn back on! [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Tracey,
You have already checked the audio controls - and everythign seems working
fine I believe when you check the device status windows tell you that device
is working properly - Go ahead and un-install audio devices - As soon you
reboot your system will prompt fro new hardware found - just re-install it -
it will pick up the drivers from your system - You should be good to go...

I had same problem about a week or so ago and re-install worked like a
charm. Hope this will help you.

Danial
"Tracey" wrote:

 > My sound was working fine but i decided to mess about with a few settings as
 > I didn't want all the sounds on and now i can't get any sound at all out of
 > my pc and i can't remember what i did so i can undo it.
 >
 > i've been into the control panel and tried there but i can't get it to work.
 >
 > Does anyone have any ideas please?
 >
 > Thank you
 >> Stay informed about: I can't get my sound to turn back on! 
Back to top
Login to vote
Tracey13

External


Since: Sep 23, 2004
Posts: 9



(Msg. 8) Posted: Wed May 25, 2005 7:47 am
Post subject: RE: I can't get my sound to turn back on! [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

My speakers are built into the monitor but I un-installed the audio device
that was set up as the default and then re-booted and as you said it prompted
me to re-install the device - unfortunately still no sound Surprised(

"OnlyDanial" wrote:

 > Tracey,
 > You have already checked the audio controls - and everythign seems working
 > fine I believe when you check the device status windows tell you that device
 > is working properly - Go ahead and un-install audio devices - As soon you
 > reboot your system will prompt fro new hardware found - just re-install it -
 > it will pick up the drivers from your system - You should be good to go...
 >
 > I had same problem about a week or so ago and re-install worked like a
 > charm. Hope this will help you.
 >
 > Danial
 > "Tracey" wrote:
 >
  > > My sound was working fine but i decided to mess about with a few settings as
  > > I didn't want all the sounds on and now i can't get any sound at all out of
  > > my pc and i can't remember what i did so i can undo it.
  > >
  > > i've been into the control panel and tried there but i can't get it to work.
  > >
  > > Does anyone have any ideas please?
  > >
  > > Thank you
 >> Stay informed about: I can't get my sound to turn back on! 
Back to top
Login to vote
Jeananne

External


Since: Feb 25, 2007
Posts: 1



(Msg. 9) Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:19 am
Post subject: RE: I can't get my sound to turn back on! [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

I can't seem to get my sound turn bak on! I've been into the Sound Device
Run the DirectX Diagnostics tool, and tried everything I have read in the
messages. Still no sound. I did find one problem and I don't know how to fix.
In one of the settings it looked like maybe my sound device got lost. How can
I get my sound back on?
Thanks.

"Tracey" wrote:

> My sound was working fine but i decided to mess about with a few settings as
> I didn't want all the sounds on and now i can't get any sound at all out of
> my pc and i can't remember what i did so i can undo it.
>
> i've been into the control panel and tried there but i can't get it to work.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas please?
>
> Thank you
 >> Stay informed about: I can't get my sound to turn back on! 
Back to top
Login to vote
RakeKiller

External


Since: Feb 17, 2007
Posts: 9



(Msg. 10) Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:56 am
Post subject: Re: I can't get my sound to turn back on! [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

"Elmo" wrote in message

> Jeananne wrote:
>> I can't seem to get my sound turn bak on! I've been into the Sound Device
>> Run the DirectX Diagnostics tool, and tried everything I have read in the
>> messages. Still no sound. I did find one problem and I don't know how to
>> fix. In one of the settings it looked like maybe my sound device got
>> lost. How can I get my sound back on?
>> Thanks. "Tracey" wrote:
>>
>>> My sound was working fine but i decided to mess about with a few
>>> settings as I didn't want all the sounds on and now i can't get any
>>> sound at all out of my pc and i can't remember what i did so i can undo
>>> it.
>>>
>>> i've been into the control panel and tried there but i can't get it to
>>> work.
>>> Does anyone have any ideas please?
>>>
>>> Thank you
>

Dis you happoen to install the 64 bit version of Vista?
Are you using the onboard sound from your motherboard?
There are sound driver issues with those combinations.
 >> Stay informed about: I can't get my sound to turn back on! 
Back to top
Login to vote
Elmo

External


Since: Sep 20, 2005
Posts: 866



(Msg. 11) Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:48 am
Post subject: Re: I can't get my sound to turn back on! [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Jeananne wrote:
> I can't seem to get my sound turn bak on! I've been into the Sound Device
> Run the DirectX Diagnostics tool, and tried everything I have read in the
> messages. Still no sound. I did find one problem and I don't know how to fix.
> In one of the settings it looked like maybe my sound device got lost. How can
> I get my sound back on?
> Thanks.
>
> "Tracey" wrote:
>
>> My sound was working fine but i decided to mess about with a few settings as
>> I didn't want all the sounds on and now i can't get any sound at all out of
>> my pc and i can't remember what i did so i can undo it.
>>
>> i've been into the control panel and tried there but i can't get it to work.
>>
>> Does anyone have any ideas please?
>>
>> Thank you

Where did my sounds go?
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/top10faqs2.htm

To remove and reinstall the sound card to see if that helps: Turn off
the computer, open the case, remove the sound card, restart the
computer. Shut down the computer, insert the sound card, restart the
computer. If it's found and the drivers are installed, replace the cover.

When you shut down, either turn off the power strip if the cord is
plugged into one, or unplug the power cord, make sure you touch the
metal case before removing the sound card. That will keep a static
shock from zapping the sound card, or other computer components.

If you think the sound card is damaged, they're cheap, replace it.

--
Joe =o)
 >> Stay informed about: I can't get my sound to turn back on! 
Back to top
Login to vote
George2

External


Since: May 18, 2004
Posts: 42



(Msg. 12) Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:22 pm
Post subject: Re: I can't get my sound to turn back on! [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Please check to see that you did not turn off the "systems sounds" in the
Control Panel applet for controlling sounds...

George

"Jeananne" wrote in message

>I can't seem to get my sound turn bak on! I've been into the Sound Device
> Run the DirectX Diagnostics tool, and tried everything I have read in the
> messages. Still no sound. I did find one problem and I don't know how to
> fix.
> In one of the settings it looked like maybe my sound device got lost. How
> can
> I get my sound back on?
> Thanks.
>
> "Tracey" wrote:
>
>> My sound was working fine but i decided to mess about with a few settings
>> as
>> I didn't want all the sounds on and now i can't get any sound at all out
>> of
>> my pc and i can't remember what i did so i can undo it.
>>
>> i've been into the control panel and tried there but i can't get it to
>> work.
>>
>> Does anyone have any ideas please?
>>
>> Thank you
 >> Stay informed about: I can't get my sound to turn back on! 
Back to top
Login to vote
Display posts from previous:   
Related Topics:
turn off help - Hi, Is there a way to turn of the help-text that appears when you place the cursor over items int the "start"-menu. This text overlaps other items to choose from and after 2 years of using XP I now know what is "realy behind these buttoms&...

Can't see Turn off button - I can't see the TURN OFF button on my Task Menu (normally should have Log off and Turn off button). So every time I want to turn off the computer, I have to click on LOG OFF first to go back to Welcome Screen, then click Turn Off from there. It's..

Monitor will not turn on - Hi there people i am new to this site.. my first post as you may notice.. i just have this big problem i have been trying for ages to try and solve and have got no where... well.. when i turn on my pc everything powers up .. BUT the moniter says "m...

turn off notifications and tips - How can I turn off the various notifications and tips that pop up? For example, wwhen windows decides to hide inactive icons in the system tray and the bubble pops up telling you this has been done.

Turn off Windows Security Alert? - How do you turn off Windows Security Alerts? It is the red shield icon with an X in it. It is on because I have windows updates turned off. Also, how do I make the IE Explorer windows open up large? So when I click on a link that pops up a new window i...
   Windows XP (Home) -> Windows XP Arch -> Windows XP General Arch1 All times are: Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Page 1 of 1

 
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Categories:
  Windows XP
 Win 2000/NT/98/ME
 Windows Vista!


[ Contact us | Terms of Service/Privacy Policy ]